Saturday, January 12, 2008

Saturday afternoon walk








I live next door to a cemetery. It is a real cemetery.. what one would call a Victorian-style cemetery like Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta. My cemetery is not nearly as cool as Oakland, but it is still a good example of cemeteries used to be. It is actually not that creepy to live next door to a cemetery. Only once did I hear some strange noises coming from the cemetery, and I think it was just a cat fight. (at least that is what I tell my self now, but the night of the 'cat fight' I was in bed thinking, I will not look out the window, I will not look the window. The "cats" were making the eeriest sounds that sounded human) Usually it is is just very quiet, which is good.


It actually borders a park a park on one side and there is a path from the parking lot of the park to the cemetery. There are always people walking, running or biking around the cemetery, you just need to make sure you watch out for funerals, as it is an active cemetery.




My one favorite factoid that I learned from the cemetery is that Dorkus is a real name. You have to look real close as the head stone is dated 1944, but her name is Dorcus. If you ever want to find a unique name, go to a cemetery.


Walking around a cemetery has confirmed on fact for me. That I want to be cremated when I die many many many decades from now. The main reason for this is that it is lonely in a cemetery. Most graves are not visited, they just sit there in memory of past lives. And it is not an active memory, it is just a stone with your name on it. I want to live in the memories of my family and friends as a funny story or a good memory, not a rock. So cremate me please.

Sorry for the dark turn there, but leak bile for a couple days, and you too will have a firm plan for what comes next.

No comments: