Thursday, January 17, 2008

Killing Time


I am meeting some friends at Trivia tonight, up by work. And since I live so far from where I work, I am killing time at the Smyrna public library. My original plan was just to go to Target or Barnes and Noble to kill time.. but if i went to a store, I would spend money... and I am trying to be better about random shopping. Only shopping with a purpose for me for now on. :)

So I am here at the library killing time. And my I say, this is a nice library! Back before I took the plunge and got my self a home PC I would have to go the library to check my email as work blocks places like hotmail, and yahoo mail and Gmail.. (annoying.. but a good business idea.) And at the library by home I would have to sign a waiting list and wait with the rest of the non computer owning rift raft.. and trust me.. there was some in that line. I would wait up to 45 mins during prime time to log in and see that I got 2 new emails.. not a very efficient use of my time.. but I did feel like I was a member of a select library Internet using society.

Then one day, I realized I could get my emails on my phone! and what a glorious day that was! No longer did I live in wonder about what people were emailing me. But responding to emails was a bit hard on the phone as i am not proficient on the 9 digit text writing. My emails looked like something e.e. cummings would write. All lower case


(example)

anyone lived in a pretty how town begins
anyone lived in a pretty how town

(with up so floating many bells down)

spring summer autumn winter

he sang his didn't he danced his did
Women and men

(both little and small)

cared for anyone not at all

they sowed their isn't they reaped their same

sun moon stars rain


(why is it that most people remember ee cummings from school? I don't remember the styling of any other poet I studied.. not that I studied many.


So every once in a while I would have to go the library, because I needed to actually write a coherent sentence back, and the only time I could go with out waiting in line was Saturday morning. So I would get out of bed and go to the library at 9 AM.. and log in and have my 30 mins of Internet time and ask my self the question.. why am I too cheap to buy a computer?


That question go to loud for me.. and now I love my computer! This weekend I think I am going to buy a new digital camera, so I can enjoy it even more.

why did I wait so long?


No comments: