Thursday, July 17, 2008

Because I am not busy enough

And my boss highly recommend I work on my communication style, I joined the ToastMasters Club at work couple months ago. And because I don't know how to say No, I am currently serving as the club's secretary. Sigh.. but it will look good on my resume.

So far I have given two of the 1o speeches I need to do to achieve the Competent Communicator level. My first speech, The Ice Breaker was named.. Three Things.. which if I say so my self was a pretty good speech.. I had people laughing and I won the best speech of the day award.. there were 2 other speakers that day. My second speech, Organize your speech was the project.. and my speech was named, vacations... and I don't think I did nearly as well.. as I did not prepare as well.. and I felt very rushed at the end. .. but I also had people laughing and pretty good audience participation. And I was very surprised to also win the best speech of the day award. There was only one other speaker and I thought he did a much better job.. and that he was much better prepared then me.

So far my feed back has been that I am pretty funny.. and I appear relaxed.. and I amazed that I am not using as many filler words like umm or like.. or so...

I am going to sign up for my next speech, and it is going to be call... Fighter.. Hopefully I can take some of the humor out.. because I need to work on not using humor. (This is my own goal.. not a toastmaster push.. I tend to use humor my communication style.. and humor is not always the best communication style for the work place, and I need to work on my work place communication.)

but it is fun.. and they are right when they say that the first is the hardest.. I was not that nervous at all this afternoon.

No comments: